Posted in murals, Uncategorized

Warner, NH Mural Project

On October 15, 2020 I went to Warner to interview for a project. I was one of four finalists and had a chance to present my ideas. I visited the Telephone Museum, took a walk, stopped at the top of Mt. Kearsage, and had my interview.

Amazingly I got the project. My plan for the mural included scenes of telephone operators, fishing, and maple sugaring. There was a small view of the town, and a couple buffalo.

I took that plan a bit further when I knew I was a finalist…

I wanted to try a limited palette to help unify the scene. I didn’t feel like there were enough areas of the past (black and white) to warrant balance in the mural. I also felt this alternative coloring scheme might help create a sense of community without too much emphasis on color of skin.

For months I’ve been working with a committee to bring that design to the fullest potential. I look forward to sharing this project with you as I continue this mural’s journey. It will be painted on panels equaling 12ft by 50ft. I will be working on it in a studio in Manchester. Later this year it will be installed in Warner.


I’ll continue with updates in this post and just separate them by date. I’m not the most skilled webmaster.

Today I finished priming the panels and started to trace out the design. I am new at this whole process of cutting up a design, and using a projector to pre-sketch it out.

I thought I’d start with the switchboard operators. Some scenes of the mural will be brightly colored and others black and white to signify the connection of past and present.


I continued tracing out the panels for this project. I now have 6/18 or 1/3 (I used to be a math teacher). Thank goodness they are lining up with one another the way they should – because each piece is part of the puzzle.

Lower left corner

My volunteers know – these are just guidelines. The final product will involve more artistic choices and decisions.

And also I began adding in some color yesterday. There is a set palette for this mural similar to what is shown in the draft of the mural above.

Telephone operators and beginning of Farmers market.


Had time for tracing 3 more panels and painting for a few hours today. Wanting to saturate it with color I have been putting down several coats of each until it is bright.


Had a helper come this week. My friend June is an excellent artist who has taught me a lot about painting. She worked on the third panel (the town of Warner) while I continued with the farmers market.

I also checked how well the first column of panels will stack up. Seems pretty good!


Now that I am deep in this project I’ve learned more details about how it came about.

1) The Warner Economic Development Advisory Committee applied for the grant that provides a large portion of the funding for this project. They hope the mural will be part of a celebration for the 250 year anniversary of Warner. They also hope it can help mark Warner as a community supporting art.

2) The Grant is from the New Hampshire State Council on the Arts. I was chosen from the applicants after a serious vetting process.

3). Part of the grant includes me working with students at a local school. More details on this will be provided as the project continues.

4) The Warner Historical Society is our fiscal agent and supportive partner in this venture.

And now on with some more painting!


This weekend the team worked on the mural frame, and picked up a practice panel to see how well the plan for hanging would work. The mural is 97% complete. The plan still includes Fall Festival Reveal, and the previous weekend a small event just for the community of Warner.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s